Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Using Google Draw to add Gamification in the Classroom

I have recently been inspired by a variety of posts from my online PLN and a post that Alice Keeler wrote about using Google Draw to create Math manipulatives.  My students are memorizing their multiplication and division facts up to 12 at this point in the school year and I am always looking for new and exciting ways to motivate them to practice to pass our weekly quizzes.

My answer was gamifying this task by creating individual game boards in Google Draw. I then gave each of my students a copy using Google Classroom.  The game board  is very simple but it gets the job done.  Students can see how they are doing and move their game piece with each accomplishment. No one but me and the specific student can see where he/she are on the game board so no student has to worry about others making comments about the progress made.

Here is how I did it:


  • First I used the shapes in Google Draw to create a simple game board. 



  • Then I looked for a game piece by changing the search tools to only include images that can be reused.



  • Once I got the game piece, this is the result.  I have provided a link to the game so you can feel free to make a copy and tweak for your purpose.

  • Next, I created an assignment on Google Classroom and gave each of my students a copy.


The best part is that through Google Classroom I can easily access every students' game to check that they are accurately reflecting their progress.

So far, so good.  Now if we can stop with all this snow so we can have a full uninterrupted week of school!








No comments:

Post a Comment